Thursday, September 4, 2008

Summer Memories

Well, school has begun and that means that I am once again consumed with phone calls, grading, lessons, emails, and troubleshooting problems that seem to crop up daily. Most days I feel more like a customer service rep. than a teacher. The summer went by way too fast (as always) and I was feeling pretty bummed about all the summer goals I didn't get accomplished -- I didn't lose 25 pounds; I didn't get my basement cleaned; I didn't get my food storage organized and inventoried; I didn't get my family history pictures scanned and cataloged; I didn't read all the 2008 Ensigns; I didn't bike ride 200 miles; I didn't attend the temple four times; blah, blah, blah. So I decided to try to focus on what I did get accomplished. I substituted four Primary classes; I mounted all the unmounted ward library pictures; I taught seven temple prep. classes; I attended 5 or 6 grandchildren birthday parties; I cleaned my office; I got my car fixed; I drove Sarah to work lots of times; I went to the zoo with Sonia and the kids; I did go bike riding a couple times; I had surgery on my hand; I attended the temple two times; I read a book; and I spent time with my family. But of everything that happened this summer, the highlight had to be attending the Columbus Temple with John and Rachel as they were sealed for time and eternity. Both were very well-prepared, and the entire experience was absolutely beautiful. It couldn't have been more wonderful, even if we had been able to travel to the Washington Temple, where Rachel wanted to go. The photo above was taken on the temple grounds afterwards. It was very hot (in the 90s) that day, and very humid. But we didn't really care. It was an exhilarating, fulfilling, and very rewarding experience. Only one more daughter to go, and all of my children will have been either married or sealed in the temple. If I never lose 100 pounds or write a book, I will die feeling that I have accomplished a great work.

So, here it is, almost fall -- and a few things have changed for several family members. Nathan started his fourth year of college last week. He got my new sink installed and actually painted my bathroom for me. In the next day or so he will install our new medicine cabinet and replace the towel rods -- and that will have to suffice until next spring. But it is a huge improvement. Sonia (his wife) is starting a new massage therapist job a few nights a week. Amaryn turned a year old and started walking. Craig is now employed by a police department and hopes to get a full-time position in a few months. Emily is starting a new job tomorrow. Little Nathan turned 8 and will be baptized soon. Hannah turned 12 and entered Young Women. Christine's oldest 4 are back in school, and she is homeschooling two of the remaining four. Rachel lost over 90 pounds, got sealed to her husband, and got a new dachshund puppy. Sarah got her car fixed! Woohoo! Mark just began his third year of teaching Seminary. So now. . . although I am dreading another stressful school year, I know that there are many more memories to be made and that someday, I'll be writing in this blog, and wondering where the school year went.

0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online